So why do you like using social networks like Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn? Is it for work, a recruiting tool, social recruiting or just staying in contact with friends and colleagues?
Someone asked me that the other day, so I thought I would share my answers with you. It would be great to hear your reasons why social networks are good for you (please post in comments)
Why do I like using social networks?:
- It started as a curiosity - a sort of 'what is all the hype about' approach. I started with LinkedIn 5 years ago (thanks Jacco!), using it as a tool for my recruitment business. Then Facebook and Twitter followed - and as a person that likes to build relationships for business etc I became an evangeliser very quickly when I saw how great these sites are for that.
- They are all great for business. I have now generated over £150k's worth of business directly from people reading this blog over the last three years. I find that I use LinkedIn, Facebook and particularly Twitter for building new business relationships and identifying new opportunities. I have met some fantastic contacts on these sites, that moved offline that I would never have got access to otherwise.
- Fonts of knowledge. They really are a tremendous source of mind blowing amounts of information. The recruitment /HR/ consulting space is well catered fro on all the networks, and the links, websites, ebooks, interviews, product knowledge etc etc that people post on these sites is just brilliant.
- Sharing. It gives me the chance to really share information tips, experiences, contacts etc with a whole diversity of people around the globe. This blog is read worldwide, and I love being able to share my opinions and advice with many people - and the social networks just help me do that. Having comment and conversation in countries such as America, India, Canada, New Zealand and all of Europe of course really does make me feel good, and just drives me on further, to write and share more on my blog.
- Superb recruiting tools. (No.6 explains why) Were they invented for recruiters?
- Access to people you wouldn't normally get anywhere close to. Social media has broken down many barriers within the business world (and the celebrity world of course), and it allows 'normal' individuals to enter dialogue with high profile individuals that previously would have been out of bounds. Of course you still have to go about it in the right way, and make contact in a correct and respectful way, but at least you have a chance to engage with them. They may of course choose to ignore you, but hey, they did that before didn't they??
- Engaging. Contrary to what people think about social networking - they are very engaging, and it both allows and facilitates conversation, relationships and opportunity.
- It is fun!!
So, come on then, why do you like using social networks then?